3429 E. Douglas, Wichita, KS 67218
Cero's Candies has been in continuous operation since 1885
Candy "Pete" Cero, a Greek Sailor, was lured to Wichita, Kansas for railroad work in 1883. Pete became ill, the railroad crew moved on, and he stayed behind. To make money he would sell pies and other sweet treats. In 1885, he purchased a building at 900 E. Douglas as his business grew. In 1902, he brought his nephew, Edward, to Wichita from Greece to help him run the business. Edward soon took over day to day operations and in 1905 added ice cream to the menu. The business moved to 1227 E. Douglas in 1927. Edward's only son, John, grew up in the candy business and moved the business to 2919 E. Kellogg in 1959 as business continued to grow. Ed Cero, the last generation of Cero's to run the business took over operations after his father passed away suddenly. His mother, Ethel, stayed on to help until her death in 1997. The Cero Family tradition of making candy was using high quality ingredients to make the best candy they could. In 1999, Ed sold the business to the Mental Health Association of South Central Kansas. They ran it until November 4, 2010 when mother and daughter team, Pam Bishop and Darcy (Bishop) Thrasher bought the business. In December 2015, Betty Albrecht purchased Cero's and continues the tradition of creating fine candies with high quality ingredients and a hand made touch.